Wednesday, March 27, 2013

2013 FSU vs. Georgia Tech Baseball

I had my first opportunity to shoot a baseball game this past weekend... Georgia Tech at FSU.  I discovered that 400mm is a pretty long lens for a baseball diamond, but I think it'll just have to do because the wife isn't going to approve a 300mm purchase anytime soon.  It's good for close-ups and I can always drop back to the 70-200 for more panoramic shots.

I spent a while just figuring out where to be and getting used to the flow of the game.  Fortunately, I played a lot of baseball when I was younger, so I had a pretty good anticipation of what plays might be coming down the pipe... sacrifice bunt, pick-off, steal, hit-and-run-, etc.  That frequently helped to get the big lens pointed at the right spot, because reacting to the ball and swinging that lens around is a fool's errand.

On to some pictures...

I was shooting for action (which I always do), so trying to anticipate plays.  The best play from the third base position with a 400mm was a play at first.  So, I got several of those.


I love Nogowski's expression when he plays.  Always the same... and intense.


Of course, pitchers are a natural photographic subject.  I enjoyed watching the sidearm Dave Smith.  Interesting motion:


And Rollie Fingers mustache (but still a little immature)...


I don't think Mike Martin agreed with the call... what do you think?


Surprisingly, I found that getting good shots of the outfielders was difficult.  I would have thought it to be the opposite since I typically have more time to react to the play.  Got this one though....


The most difficult thing I found was getting the baseball in the picture.  That sucker travels FAST.  I almost got it here... at least go the evidence.  You can see exactly where the ball hit the bat and the resulting clay explosion off the bat.  



See more of FSU vs. Georgia Tech baseball at this gallery:

2013 FSU vs. Georgia Tech

See much more at www.wlpearce.com where it's all about the photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment