Thursday, May 3, 2012

My Favorite Penn Relays Photos

This years Penn Relays wasn't quite as conducive to quality pics as I was hoping.  It was cold, windy and overcast most of the three days.  And, when I say cold, I mean like middle of the winter in Jacksonville cold!  However, I did get a few quality pics.  Here are some of my favorites from the trip.

First up... I'm always a sucker for the international teams.  Here's a quality shot of the first transition in the Olympic Development 4x100M.  Transition shots at Penn are always a challenge simply because of how crowded it is.  It's hard to get good position where other photographers aren't in the way, or the officials aren't shooing you away.


Next up is this sprinter from Belgium.  I hope I didn't do something to tick him off.  He sure looks mean.  Wouldn't want to meet up with him in a dark alley...


I was so looking forward to the shuttle hurdles this year, but they turned out to be quite the disappointment.  The light wasn't very good, and I just didn't do a good job of following them.  in addition, in the one Olympic Development heat, there were only three teams, and two of them wiped out.  On the bright side, at least I captured the wipe out.


The absolute best picture I got was of Clemson in their orange jump suits, but of course a hurdle worker stepped right in front of the camera as I took the best shot.  Argh!  I really only got one decent pic.  Disappointing.


The sun peeked out long enough to get a few decent long jump pics.  I like this guy from Indiana.  I've seen him at other meets.  Good jumper.


And, if you know me, you know I'm always a sucker for a good high jump photo.  They had the high jump pit jammed right up against the track, so I couldn't get into my favorite position directly behind the pit.  However, from the side angle, I could get the crowds in the background.  How many times do college kids get to jump in front of thousands of spectators?  Not often.  Very neat!


The highlight of Penn is always the USA vs. The World races.  This year, it was USA 6, World 0.  The Jamaicans always provide the best competition, and I think about a quarter of the population of Jamaica flies up for Penn every year.  They even had the Prime Minister of Jamaica there this year!



The sun finally did come out Friday, just about in time for it to set.  But when it did set, it sure made for some nice light for pictures.




See more at www.wlpearce.com


No comments:

Post a Comment